The HRDC is governed by a 25 member Commission, with a large majority of the members consisting of local elected officials.
- 6 -- County Commissioners
- 5 -- Mayors or Councilpersons from Small Cities
- 4 -- Township Board Members
- 2 -- School Board Members
- 1 -- Mayor/Councilperson from Cities over 10,000
- 3 -- American Indian Tribal Council Representatives (one each from Red Lake, White Earth, and Leech Lake Reservations)
- 4 -- Citizens representing public interests (business, higher education, natural resources, and labor)